Make Sure Your Consultant Insists on Your Firm Having a Strategic Plan
My last two blogs address hiring a consultant (Should You Hire a Consultant? & The Discovery Process of Your Consultant). So let’s talk about the next step.
So, you’ve hired the consultant that fits you best and they’ve conducted an extensive discovery process. They have prepared recommendations for you and you both agree on the challenges and opportunities to be addressed.
So, what’s the next step? Obviously, it’s to translate all of this into a 12 month Strategic Plan for the firm. What does this encompass?
- A SWOT analysis – we recommend this be done in a team setting with everyone on the staff. This is a great way to get them engaged in the process. I’m sure many of them never think about these issues and pulling them out of their day-to-day to focus on it is a win-win for the entire team. You and your consultant have already done much of this work during the discovery and recommendations phases but again, this pulls in the entire team.
- We want to hear what your Big Hairy Audacious Goals are.
- However, we focus on your major initiatives for the next 12 months. I don’t like planning beyond this because as my mom likes to say “life is what happens when you’re making other plans” and you will want to stay open to changes in your firm and in the industry.
- Each firm initiative will have an “Owner”, someone who is in charge of spearheading its completion.
- You will lay out a series of action steps and deadlines for each initiative.
- You will record these initiatives somewhere other than your CRM – we believe your day-to-day work MUST be in your CRM but your strategic plan deserves a home of its home. We provide our clients with web-based project management software at no cost to them.
- We use this software to keep everyone accountable to their initiatives.
- We generally have weekly calls with you to make sure goals are being met and we are on track with what you want to get accomplished.
- We have multiple monthly calls with the team (or with many clients, we participate by phone in their weekly staff meetings) to make sure initiatives are being accomplished.
- If they are not:
- We may get in there and help the staff member working on it – what work can we do on our end to help move it along?
- We may evaluate if it’s still relevant.
- We may evaluate whether or not we assigned it to the right person
In other words, we are constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure these initiatives are getting completed because remember, they are the path to you reaching your goals…achieving your desired quality of life.
You can schedule a complimentary call with us to see if we are a fit and answer any questions you may have. Again, we’re looking to work with a small group of elite advisors so we will be honest with you as to whether or not we are a good fit. We may also be able to give you a few ideas you can implement immediately.
Thanks for listening, Ginny