Yep, it’s that time of year again. Time to prepare for 2021 and I know most of us will be glad to see 2020 go. Yikes, what a year!
Most of you know in your heart of hearts that having a strategic plan is extremely useful to meeting your goals but you may not know where to start or how to execute. We’d like to offer some ideas:
- First and foremost, before you do any other planning, we HIGHLY recommend you read Traction by Gino Wickman. We have helped many of our clients implement EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) with great success. I tell my clients who are considering it, “it’s not an aha moment, it’s a duh moment”. Nothing in it is particularly revolutionary but the way it is presented and laid out is genius. Here is the link to the book on Amazon – Traction by Gino Wickman.
2. If you don’t have time to read it or it’s not for you, here are some other ideas on how to get this process started.
a. Start by honestly assessing your staff – are they all A players? Do they get it and do they want it? Are they the right individuals to implement the strategy that will provide you with the quality of life you deserve?
i. If not, drop back and give us a call so we can discuss this further with you.
b. If they are, start here:
i. Block off an entire day – book an offsite venue to reduce distractions.
ii. Have an agenda
- List the accomplishments of the year and take some time to congratulate yourself and your team;
- Next, perform a SWOT analysis How to do a SWOT analysis and templates;
- From the SWOT analysis, look at your weaknesses and threats;
- Add any other issues the firm is facing. Do you need to upgrade technology, make a hire, improve your compliance work, etc.
- Use these as well as your personal & business goals for 2021 to formulate your strategy for 2021;
- Break out the initiatives into quarters so you don’t try to get too much done in any one quarter. This is a surefire way to fail.
- Make sure you assign only 1 person to be accountable for each initiative. They can have others help them but ultimately, the buck stops with that one person.
- Hold bi-weekly meetings (or include in your staff meeting) to get an update from your team on the status of their initiatives. If anyone is off track, find out what needs to happen to get hem back on track.
Strategic Planning can be hard work but the results will go a long way in helping you accomplish your goals for 2021. Please feel free to give us a call (Schedule a Call). We offer a one-hour, complimentary call to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks for listening, Ginny